Tuesday, March 8, 2016

My Brewing Notes for A Sample from Probador Colectiva, İstanbul



La Niebla El Carmen Guatemala - Probador Colectiva, İstanbul

Altitude: 1800-2000

Varietal: Red Bourbon, Catuai

Harvest: April - July 2015

Process: Washed

Bright Citrus Acidity
Complex Fruitiness
Clean Aftertaste





I have chosen 95 degree Celsius for all brewings unless otherwise noted. I could start to taste the beans 7 days after the roasting date.
  1. Tasted with V60 V01 with a ratio of 12/200gr with stirring in pre-infusion and tapping in the last 1 minute, with a grind size of 10/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. Poured in 3 steps including pre-infusion - 2:20 total time with 45 seconds pre-infusion: The bright acidity is obvious. There are some flowers as well as fruits in the middle and the aftertaste is really clean. But I am sure I can get a better result with increasing the ratio a bit and going to a coarser grind size.
  2. Tasted with V60 V01 with a ratio of 20/300gr no stir no tap, with a grind size of 16/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. Pre-infused for 45 seconds: My overall best result with this coffee with respect to my own taste. Even it is not in the cupping notes of the roaster, I feel very happy to get some chocolate flavors after the first second besides a very balanced output composing all the cupping notes -not surprising in my opinion for beans from Guatemala. 
  3. Tasted with Chemex 6 cup with a ratio of 15/225gr with a grind size of 20/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. 45 seconds Pre-infusion time: The fruitiness is dominant in the cup but I feel a weakness in the aftertaste. I can go a little bit higher ratios such as 24/360gr or even 26/340gr with the same grind size. 
  4. Tasted with Aeropress with a ratio of 18gr/250gr with a grind size of 10/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. 30 seconds pre-infusion with 50 grams and pressed in 20 seconds. Total brew time is 3:00: The first hit is too acidic in my humble opinion even for a bright acidic coffee. I may try a slower press or try a lower coffee/water ratio.  
  5. Tasted with Aeropress with a ratio of 16gr/255gr with a grind size of 10/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. 30 seconds pre-infusion with 50 grams and pressed in 30 seconds. Total brew time is 2:30: Acidity is more balanced compared to my other aeropress trial.
  6. Tasted with Kalita 155 with a ratio of 18/250gr with a grind size of 20/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. 50 grams pre-infusion in 45 seconds. Total brew time is 2:00 with pulse pouring: The first hit is a little bit too acidic again. Plus the fruity notes seems to be closed by this acidity. But I have to confess that the aftertaste impressed me much more with its strength.
  7. Tasted with Kalita 155 with a ratio of 20/250gr with a grind size of 25/40 over Baratza Virtuoso. 50 grams pre-infusion in 45 seconds. Total brew time is 2:00 with pulse pouring: One of my favourite results for this coffee. I have a very balanced thing in my mug and I feel like I am very close to the cupping notes of the roaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment